I’ll Have What She’s Having: Take it from the stylish chic, a classic white outfit will easily anchor your bold pieces or create an instant spark in your appearance.
Today’s segment of our series the stylish Chic has a wardrobe staple making a stellar appearance at the photocalls of recent events in the city of Lagos, take it or leave it, these events help us see things that WE can actually wear! Hooray!
How can something so simple look so great?
Well, isn’t that really what being a stylish chic is about?
Did you know that nothing beats a crisp white shirt, dress or pants as a go-to piece in your wardrobe?
Wear white to counterbalance something that’s totally out of the box or crazy bold for you, like a big print skirt, pants or colorful suit. If white is not your thing that day, you can even try blue, hmmm! If white is your thing then you can have an overall white appearance for your event? It’s the simplicity of a tailored classic that is the key.
Here we go for inspiration.
Peek at Ifeoma Williams, Antonia Soares, Orire Omatsola, and Aisha Bello in all white and where they make a strong case for wearing all white, all pictured above. Their looks are timeless and ageless, appropriate for a twenty-something or 50+,
Want to look a bit more streamlined?
Try wearing a white shirt with a simple cotton skirt or pant. Add heels and a clutch to avoid the nursery-nurse feel.
If you’re opting for something that’s a tad more conservative, verging on classic casual, take a look at how pretty a white top looks on Dolapo Oni or the way Elma Godwin’s frock is patterned with design , another African style favorite.
What makes a white basic so special is how you accent it. Try these styling tips to make your white shirt, pants or frock look chic and classic.
- Shoes count! Add a heel or more statement shoe to make your top or outfit pop.
- If wearing a white top, be sure your blouse doesn’t pull in the bra line. A bit of double-stick tape or well-placed safety-pin between the gaping buttons should do the trick.
- Keep your hair soft and undone for a less aging look.
- White can wash you out so be sure to add a little natural color to your cheeks and lips.
- Not all whites are created equal. Be sure the shade compliments both your skin tone and the color of your teeth.
So stay tuned for more style tips with Madame Solange